Talk:Novus Ordo Seclorum
- Underutilized buildings downtown. Yes a leader can claim some title via eminent domain. The purpose is to stimulate economic development. One idea is to create an incubator: a test shop for people to build things and test out business development ideas.
- Ability to appoint a Judge if there is not one present -- can utilize a school building or other community building.
- Think about where public, legislative meetings should occur, but the key interaction in the beginning is open door access to the elected official to hear what the community wants.
- How to structure and re-structure your taxes. Income taxes can be set to a simple flat rate, related to ongoing costs of city items and should be denied to upper government if they're not spending it appropriately. Sales taxes should be the executive`s reward for stimulating local economic activity and reserved for new growth or projects, so think about how this should be structured. This is how to make tax policy perfect. Capisce?
Minimalist model of governance (call it the "hackerspace" model):
- Start with week-long cycles
- Use winner-takes-all voting
- Those elected get absolute power, presuming that they respect the implied contract with the voters
- Elected executive get to write laws and decide issues of justice.
- Cycle doubles with each re-election
- Cycle starts over to 1 week when not re-elected
- New leaders can overturn old leader`s systems
- Existing leader is responsible for setting up the next election
- Good leaders will last, bad leaders will not
- System dissolves if leader abuses the system: people put less trust in the system of power. Takes time to recover trust from abusive leaders.
First tier of governance:
- delegations of power
- revenue for the government
Second tier of governance:
- decisions of justice
Third tier of governance:
If we wanted to make the most concise Constitution, it would need to cover these 6 issues:
- Separation of Power
- One elected branch with regular cycles of re-election to develop initiative and leadership
- One appointed branch with no cycles of re-election to develop wisdom
- One middle branch of citizen volunteers funding ongoing services and acting as rule-making body
- Hierarchy of Delegation
- What is not set at a higher level is left to lower-levels to decide
- World, Nation, State, Region/County, City
- Compensation for Different Branches
- Leader compensated by XX, funded by economic stimuli
- Legislators compensated by House majority decisions, funded by income taxes
- Judges compensated by Court Fees (filing fees, and hourly or fixed fee)
- Law-Making Procedures
- Bills written by volunteers
- Majority votes pass to Executive
- Executive approves or vetoes and passes into Law
- Revenue generation (funding the government)
- fixed income tax rate
- allows deductions from gross income to compensate for minimum cost to live
- collected by each district of delegation as income tax
- fixed sales tax rate
- collects when the machinery of commerce is exercised (roads, communications networks, money)
- property fees
- collected monthly
- only for utilities (water, electricity, cable/telephone) and other services (municipal wifi, trash, sewer)
- amount based on usage rate and cost to connect
- fixed income tax rate
- Penal system
- Limits to be set for continual re-evaluation rather than lockup and forget
- Focus on understanding and corrections
- Limit cost to society without resorting to execution
A citizen hired to maintain continuity between elections, a go-between for the three branches to have some coordination, officed in the Executive Branch, to keep things in working order through secure, internal documentation systems, and communications to the Press. If your government is the steward of more than a few hundred people or if you have a Press, you should have a clerk.
In a distrustful, pathological system, a clerk (not reporting to any branch) serves as a mediating force with no actual powers, but the power of sharing knowledge between all three branches and acting as a go-between.
The clerk should be able to write the weekly "president's corner" (mayor's, commissioner's, governor's) of the relevant district as well as provide revenue and expense numbers on a regular basis. This is the give-back to the Press for covering government actions as a private enterprise. Clerk reports to no one (or one could say reports to "the system"), but should give an honest report when requested by any governmental member or citizen acting on behalf of the government. XXXHired by Legislative? Any branch can fire, all branches hire/interview (unless opting-out).
While it seems absurd, there is real use and legitimacy to a Jedi Order as the ideal marries science and religion, providing something that the law alone cannot. For the Jedi path see github.com/thePastor/JusticeLeague/wiki/Jedi-Order. This is envisioned to hold the highest standards and, like the clerk, reports to a "higher authority". Too much leadership by the law itself would lead to inbreeding effects found in biology, so these two institutions, plus the Press keep things in check.
Residencies are simple, modest dwellings allowing citizens to be the steward over some public resource without paying rent. Such residencies can be a hut (like those in the tiny house movement) that is off the power grid where citizens follow proper composting procedures for handling waste and generally show self-sufficiency while providing continual coverage of a public resource, such as a park.