The mission of the Metagovernment project is to support the development and use of Internet tools which enable the members of any community to fully participate in the governance of that community. We are a global group of people working on various projects which further this goal.
We expect governance software to be adopted first in small communities, and then to spread outward with the potential to gradually replace many institutions of representative democracy with a new kind of social organization called collaborative governance.
We conceive a world where every person, without exception, is able to substantively participate in any governance structure in which they have an interest. We envision governance which is not only more open, free, and democratic; but also which is more effective and less fallible than pre-Internet forms of governance.
Metagovernment members are involved in a variety of projects, the most active of which are:
- Airesis — The global social platform for participatory democracy available in 9 languages and 11 country localizations. Airesis does not consider liquid democracy a valid alternative and use a Schulze voting algorithm for multiple solutions. Airesis is developed in responsive web design to provide optimal access by mobile devices.
- DemocracyOS — Voting platform
- Liquid Democracy — The Liquid Democracy Association works on innovative ideas and projects for democratic participation
- Loomio — Loomio is an open-source platform for collaborative decision-making.
- Matchism — A philosophy and voting system for the next generation of government. The meek shall govern the earth!
- Vilfredo goes to Athens — Software which uses mathematical formulae to help participants build a consensus on an open question.
- Votorola — Software for building consensus and reaching decisions on local, national and global levels.
Some of these formerly active projects or proposals might also provide a source of information, inspiration, or source material for a new project:
- Adhocracy — A drafting and (delegated) voting tool for small and medium-sized groups
- Agora Voting — A liquid democracy social voting tool.
- Architecture for a Democracy 2.0 - Paper, that elaborates a way of how to establish a hybrid of direct and representative democracy by using the means of modern infrastructure (i.e. computers and the internet).
- Citizen report — one-week conference of 25 absolutely randomly selected citizens about a political topic, getting lectures about topic and developing ideas together with experts and politicians.
- Cyber Democracy - A concept which seeks to combine direct democracy with mainstream portable information technology such as smartphones and tablets.
- Democracy 2.0 - A decentralized decision making concept seeking software developers. What makes this one special? Identity confirmation using the US government's own voter registration records and integrated feedback. General info Patent for Democracy 2.0
- DemocracyLab — Software using participants' posts and votes to build a dynamic map of political thought designed to facilitate consensus and solve problems.
- Determining Evaluation Voting — A quite advanced mathematical method to select a winner by letting voters evaluate(/score) alternatives. The method minimizes tactics and applies desired amount of consensus assign by a number.
- d!sco Network, The d!sco is the implementation of a meta discussion system. We rapid prototype an Ontology and Web API to serve as a data hub inside of a P2P network. Be involved!
- EIPW - Web-based tool collection for working on the processes proposed by the Architecture for a Democracy 2.0.
- Indaba Application Network — The platform running WeVote (on Facebook) and ChoiceRanker.
- Leading Boards— portal is for Board members and their meetings where they can view documents and archives online plus e-votes, collaborative and networking tools.
- Liquid Feedback –– The legislation platform used by the Piratenpartei in various parliaments of Germany.
- MetaPlan — documented structured brainstorming method
- opendemocracy.fi — A community-based hybrid between direct and representative democracy
- Openpolitics — Canadian wiki based project for deliberation on political issues.
- StratML — An American national standard (ANSI/AIIM 21:2009) for strategic plans, with a number of E-Forms authoring/editing interfaces and various service prototypes.
- PeopleCount — A mechanism to gauge constituent opinion on a variety of issues. PeopleCount.org
- Pärnu Wiki - Civil Society Portal of Pärnu City and Pärnu County (Estonia)
- Systemic Consensus — how much are You against the suggestions to vote for? SC gives You the method to build group consensus upon everybody's individual degree of being against a suggestion.
- VirtualPol — The first Democratic Social Network.
- Votetocracy — US site allowing citizens to vote on bills in Congress and send those votes to representatives.
- Wisdom Of Crowds — Open Source collaborative platform for making decisions build on top of Yii framework.
These projects have been discontinued, but are worth noting:
- Candiwi — Wiki software based on consensus, synthesis, and a distributed framework ("candid distributed wiki").
- Direct Congress We the People can Direct our Congress by selecting America's Laws online. Direct Congress allows any U.S. citizen to create and review legislation in a thoughtful forum. Our movement will support candidates who pledge to vote the way citizens vote securely online.* OpenAssembly — Direct democracy platform that employs Schulze ranked voting and configurable consensus and is designed to bridge the gap between real life and virtual decision making.
- Dynamic Democracy — An experiment that lets its users suggest and vote on bills that they wish the government was considering.
- Eudemocracia — Activist Latin American NGO based in Buenos Aires city. It promotes the open democracy philosophy.
- GenerallyAssembled.com — An online general assembly platform.
- Hyperarchy — Real time collaborative decision making based on the Tideman's Ranked Pairs voting method.
- Karari Participative Democracy and Constitutions Platform— Based on principals of Direct Democracy (liquid), this portal hosts hundreds of national and state constitutions whey users can comment, rate, discuss and develop their own constitutions and learn from what have been developed in other nation states. View all available constitutions here List of constitutions. and join us on facebook here Karari Global Participative Democracy
- NationBuilder — The platform running The White House 2, and a growing number of other systems.
- noddr - Simplify the democracy
- Telematics Freedom Foundation — Promotes democracy, including media and global democracy, through the promotion of telematic solutions (see linked page for list).
- Virtual Parliament — UK site allowing anyone to suggest and vote on policies.
How you can help
There are many ways you can contribute, as detailed on the participate page.
To ask questions of this group, please join our list server. If you do not want your question posted to the list, write to contact (at) metagovernment (dot) org.